The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #28
LH Lead-Foot

Re: Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

Depending on your budget and future use, you can get an analog angle gauge with magnetic base at HF. The sell digital ones that are smaller. My only advise is to use the u-joint caps, file them smooth and flat as many get the hammer treatment during years of service.

With a truck, it can run un-loaded for weeks, then have 15 sheets of drywall the next day. Also, with air bags and drop rear frame members, this too affects the angles.

I spent years fixing problems in shops both small & big. My main disadvantage is not having serious modification skills to make what was not there. I can weld, hammer, shape, heat & beat metal into submission to create and fabricated, and pick up serious sewing skills. I just repaired what was broke or bad, but mainly put things back to new from the day they where sold. I do know what specs are how to avoid vibrations, keeping the life of u-joints, but also the tail shaft bushing from wearing or worse yet. loosing the front pinion bearing. Most frozen u-joints take out that bearing.

There are many good youtube vid's on pinion angle, both professional, off-road and for the modification types. Search and watch some of these, as you will figure out if the dude is dead on and knows his stuff, or just found a hammer and figure to pound u-joints today, while counting beers.

Thanks for you concern with my medical, but all bad. For the better part of my 50's, now ten years in, I have major arthritis in elbows, hands, finger and they don't act like they want to fix them via elbow joint replacement. Actually said "They don't like to do that". Bought a fancy wheel chair sometime ago, maybe I will put a cup holders on it and grease the wheel bearings. Yep, soon, I will be deleting my account here, but IATN and others. I just wanted to finish my C10. Can't pay, don't have the helpers either. Maybe I'will trade my TECH2, MIG and SnapOn / J-Tools to be named later, in for a paint job because I don't think I can hold the gun long enough...it's a day long job. Hell, i can barely get up off a creeper. But, that's the way it goes. Sew the seats, console & door panels, then sell the Juki lock-stitch commercial machine w/alum, oil crankcase. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
So, best of luck. It will work out for you!