The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2019, 12:20 AM   #1
Greasey Harley

New to me 79 K10 left me stranded today.

I ended up with a '79 K10 long bed, 350/4-Speed/205
I rebuilt the engine, fuel system, brakes, clutch, axles, drive-lines, some new tires.
Went through the wiring, new hoses, belts, radiator, etc.etc.etc, got it up and running about a week ago.

Today, I left the gas station after filling the drivers side tank (which it was running off of), drove about 2 miles and it quit. Just shut off and would not start.
A quick inspection showed the accelerator pump wasn't functioning. Out of gas ????? WTH?

Apparently, the fuel diverter defaults to the right tank if it fails?? So, even though the switch was on left tank, and the gauge was reading the left tank it was pulling out of the right tank.

I hooked a little boat gas tank to the fuel pump, strapped it down to the passenger fender well and drove it home. Pretty frustrating to go through all that work and get stranded after the truck has only been together for a week.

These are simple machines and it took a half hour to patch it together enough to limp it home, and about 15 minutes on the internet to figure out why it broke down. I ain't mad, just didn't see that coming. Oh well, I'll have it up and running this weekend. Can't do that with modern trucks

I do love an old Square-Body 4x4
-Russ
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote