The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
NeoJuice

Re: Master Cylinder/Booster HELP!!

I'm going to re-open this thread from back in 2017. Now that the truck is running, seat belts are in I'm again left with little to no break pedal. As I mentioned in my "Whats going wrong inside my 350" Thread the truck is currently running 10-12" vacuum and 32 degrees total timing and 10 degrees base timing. The low vacuum is because of the cam.

I have my 2 lb residual check valves in the front and the back. I also have Wilwood Adjustable Proportioning valve installed.

I was thinking about it yesterday I think I might know what my issue's with my brakes might be.

1. Issue of not having a disc/disc master cylinder instead of a disc/drum master cylinder. The master that is currently on the truck has four ports (see attached image for MBM referance). So I went to the parts store and picked up a 1980 corvette master cylinder as suggested by DSRaven NUP 39052. It is a disc disc master so I will get that swapped into the truck. I need to do some re-plumbing of the lines with some unions because the lines are on the opposite side from where I previosly plumbed them into the old master. Picked it up for $65 because I said i could get it cheaper on rockauto lol.

2. When I assembled the master cylinder/Booster I didn't check the push rod adjustment on the booster. Since the pedal is soft I can also feel a big gap between when I start to push the pedal and the actual contact with the master cylinder. So that will need to be checked. I will need to source one of these tools. https://www.amazon.com/Power-Brake-B.../dp/B079QGXY55 but no one seems to have one locally or even know what it is.

3. Check to make sure the booster check valve is functioning correctly. Replace if necessary.

4. Re-bleed brakes and test for pedal travel. At this point once I verify all the air is out of the system and when the truck is running to see what kind of pedal I have. If the pedal is still pretty soft I will either need a vacuum reserve canister or something simular to a vacumm pump kit.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mr-Ga...ter,61773.html
https://leedbrakes.com/i-23439165-el...it-series.html

5. I've read online that some people have no problems with there pedal with low vacuum around what I'm running and others that do. I guess could that be due to where they altitude wise? Some people have reserve canisters and some people have the vacuum pump kits. I mean it's a SBC 350 not a blown out 454 with a supercharger that produces no vacuum. I guess I will need to see once I get the new Master installed.

6. From what I've read online and how I had the old MC plumbed the larger front bowl is for the front brakes and the booster side is for the rear brakes. This should be how GM did it as well. I just want to be sure its the same before I make some new lines.

What are peoples thoughts on vacuum and boosters? I'm hoping that swapping out the MC for the corvette one will fix my issue.
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote