The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
RyanPartridge

Questions about going back to manual steering

Howdy fellas!

About 7 months back I sold my 65 Econoline and picked up a 57 Chevy pickup. Been working on dialing her in ever since. Some things I've done to improve the ride/handling have been new Posies lowering springs, new Bilstein shocks, new tires, dropped axle from Sid's with new kingpins, tie rods, 4 degree caster shims,...all of which has made my truck ride and handle unbelievably better. I also have a sway bar I haven't installed yet but look forward to.

However...the previous owner had a shoulder injury so they installed a power steering unit and I just don't like it. I don't like that I can't "feel" the road. I'd rather muscle tight turns in parking lots if it means getting the "feel" back...

My question is, what would it take to go back to standard manual steering?
Are NOS or rebuilt stock steering boxes available? Or is there a quality aftermarket steering box that will bolt in?
Were mods done to my steering column or anywhere else for the previous owner to convert it to power steering?

I appreciate any help!
I've done searches and come up short...
RyanPartridge is offline   Reply With Quote