The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
chrisb9259

newbie needing help.

bought a 72 c10 and replaced the starter and spark plugs and fortunately got her to run. but every time i pressed the gas the truck would die. being new to the mechanical situations and not knowing what i was doing. i replaced the distributor and replaced some gaskets in the carb. then when i started to crank it she started making an awful grinding sound. asked some people and found out i had the distributor 180 degrees out. not having any marks on my harmonic balancer i researched and figured out a solution. i took the valve cover off cylinder 1 and stuck screwdriver into #1 spark plug hole until i reached tdc. then did the math to make harmonic balancer tape. aligned the rotor with #1 cylinder and replaced spark plugs and wires. sounds better when i crank but still no start. i learned my lesson of doing too many things at once because now i dont know which is the problem. any help from this mess would be appreciated.
chrisb9259 is offline   Reply With Quote