The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #24
WorkinLonghorn

Re: NP435 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave64 View Post
Weim55,
Steve,
I may not have made myself clear, but the HOUSING I have here is for the TAPERED ROLLER bearing.
Depending on whom you're talking to, the Chev/GMC version DID NOT use the tapered roller type, yet they are listed in the Chev/GMC parts list???
If worse comes to worst, I would have to also get a housing that suits the flat roller race, but believe I can get away with the tapered roller type housing that I have here.
Hope that makes it a bit clearer.
Cheers, Dave64
Dave, GM used 2 different NP435s. Usually the light duty option was the close-ratio model and some C-30s and the C-40-60 got the wide ratio one. But there is a guy on this forum who has the wide ratio on his C20 and says it is stock. I don't know about the bearings but it could be that the wide ratio one has the tappered rollers. Here look at the 1969 Chevrolet Truck Data Book;
Attached Images

'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote