The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
evilokc

rust removal made easy

I have a set of inner fenders for my 53 that are nicer than my current set. problem is they are covered in thick surface rust. I went at them with a wire brush on a drill and it really didn't so anything. I read that you can soak small parts in white vinegar and it will make the rust come off very easy. I got a large tub that my inner fender would fit in and bought 6 gallons of white vinegar. poured it in only to find it wasn't water tight and a lot of it ran down my driveway. smelled pretty thick. plan B... I saturated a towel in white vinegar and laid it over the fender. re-soaked it before I went to bed and then again before I went to work the next morning. when I got home the white towel had turned rust color from all of the rust soaking through. I went at it with some sand paper and the rust basically fell off. not joking. it fell off. I did the bulk of the fender in about 10 minutes after it had been soaking about 30 hours. if you have rust to remove I highly suggest this. I thought it was fake but it worked incredibly well.
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote