The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
siggyfreud

Developing a 67-72 LS/Fuel Injection Air intake

Hey all,

I posted a bit back about what parts people would like to see created if I were able to start 3d-printing and designing some pieces. I appreciate all of that feedback and will be looking to it for some upcoming projects.

One of the first projects I want to do is of my own personal interest, and that is to design a cold air intake box for those doing LS/fuel injection swaps. In many of these swaps people are left to either an open filter that can and does suck in warmed radiator air, or they're left to use a universal air intake box.

My goal is to design something that fits nicely in our engine compartment, keeps the air cooler, and utilizes a factory-available air filter.

I'll be using this thread to keep people updated on the progress.

I have a few design documents going, and a list of requirements, but feel free to chime in if you think of something you'd like me to try and incorporate.

My first goal is to build something functional. After that, I'll turn some attention to tuning the aesthetics.

Tonight I wanted to mock up an idea for the Mass-Airflow adapter. The idea here is to have a piece that you can bolt a Delphi MAF directly to, after an 11" run of straight tubing to measure at the smoothest airflow. The large flange would bolt to the airbox and would be clockable (slotted on the box side) to allow fine-tuning of orientation. RIght now keeping it a circular flange makes it easier to use a slotted design on the box side, but I may change it for aestetic reasons later on.

The MAF would bolt to the other end and would utilize the factory MAF gasket.

Additionally, I have designed it to have a 1/4" air gap, as air is actually a pretty poor conductor of heat, and thus it should help keep IAT temps down by preventing the inner tube from heating from ambient air. That said, I'll be printing a tube without the shield and doing some tests to see if it helps and if the amount of help is enough to warrant the extra material and cost.

This is just a quick mockup and isn't designed exactly to spec. I'll have to buy a MAF to get the right dimensions, and pattern for the bolting surface.

I'll also be adding an optional IAT sensor port, that could possibly double for water/methanol or nitrous sprayers.

siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote