The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
NoNeck

No More Crimped Fuel Lines

I needed to bend 3/8" steel fuel line to 90°, but after the second collapse I was ready to try anything. I was using a quality Imperial line bender so it shouldn't be that difficult.

The first bend was made using packed sand in the line with just a little silicone grease on the upper jaw where it moved across the tubing. About 75% collapsed.

The second bend was made after the line was filled with water and frozen overnight. About 50% collapsed, plus a crack on one side of the tubing.

On the third bend I decided to insert an 8 gauge electrical wire and two 12 gauge wires into the tubing. I sprayed just a little Silicone in the tubing, then inserted the wires. I looped the ends of the wires to help pull them out after the bend. And... IT WORKED!!! I didn't get a picture of the bend because now it is on the truck and working great.

You guys probably have a million other ways to bend larger tubing without collapsing, but this worked for me.

POP
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote