The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #11
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

After I get this truck running up and down the street, the next big project will be the AC - hopefully I can get it functional before the heat hits in May.

I want to run Vintage Air, but that system they hang below the dash isn't in keeping with the 'retro' look I like.

Old Air sells a center vent that uses the radio grill, but a call to them reveals that the AC controls are part of the center vent option and I'd have to switch to their system to get it.

I've recently got access to a waterjet and am trying to learn 2D CAD well enough to use it, so I thought I'd try and design my own center vent I can use with the Vintage air.

I laid the dash, grill and some aftermarket AC vents out in CAD and cut the vent holder out on the waterjet today.

Here's a trial fit of the parts viewed from the back. the aluminum plate holding the vents will be behind the dash and held in with the fasteners on the radio grill

Here's a view from the front of the grill - I'll paint everything flat black so it won't be so conspicuous on the cab side

Still trying to work out how to move the louvers on the vents to redirect air in the cab (my experience in Arizona is that I usually leave the vents in one position all year long and just run the fan up or down to my comfort level, so I may not put in any adjustment at all and just 'set it and forget it')

Here's the vents I bought from Old Air Products

The waterjet aluminum holder - I'll tip the top and bottom to match the contour of the dash

The truck's grill was never meant for passing air and the backside is just the rough stamping. To make it a bit more 'aerodynamic' I'm going to epoxy some 3/16" steel rod to the back of the speaker grill.

Suggestions for improvements always welcome
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote