The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #11
skyphix

Re: LS Swap question

Here's what I did:

2006 Yukon was my donor. Had it sitting in my driveway. Its 4wd, and my C10 obviously isn't, so...

1) Pulled the engine complete (including wiring harness... didnt end up using it but its good to have scrap wire around.)
2) Pulled the PCM and Fuse block (didnt use them, but good to have for future)
3) Pulled the accelerator pedal, TAC module, and harness
4) Reused the radiator (ended up having to order a new one, but got a stock replacement for the Yukon) and fans
5) Reused the positive and negative battery cables
6) Reused the battery (which I have since replaced with a replacement for the Yukon... this winter killed the 8 year old battery that was in the Yukon)

You actually can use more - fuel lines and trans cooler lines can be made to work. I went braided stainless from hotrodfuelhose.com and do not regret it.

I did NOT use the 4L60E out of the Yukon... ended up being cheaper to pick up a good condition used 2WD 4L80E which matches my future goals/needs better than having my 60E converted to 2WD and rebuilt.

The rest is going to the scrap yard. I sold enough off of it in parts, even though its rusty, to pay PSI to send me a harness, PCM, 2 position brake switch, and fan relays. Total from PSI was around 900 and truck runs like a dream. They took care of VATS, etc. They also started with a 6.0/4L80E PCM and adjusted the parameters to match my 5.3. I plugged it in per their instructions, wired it up to the chassis harness (really simple,) ran a wire for my fuel pump, and turned the key. See video below. I'll do more tuning myself this spring.

I'm using a dirt cheap Android tablet (that I got for free, but it was $30 new,) a $15 tablet mount, $5 software called Torque Pro for Android, and a fairly expensive (there are cheaper, but I like the higher resolution/refresh rate) bluetooth OBDII sender ($70) for my gauges and idiot lights. I did have to grab an oil pressure gauge, sender, and adapter, because the Gen 3 PCM I am using doesn't use oil pressure. No big deal for me - actually had everything laying around except the adapter.

Not saying the Holley kits aren't good - they are - I just decided to go GM instead and have zero regrets. I'll likely end up switching to a Holley kit once I add turbo's... but thats a built engine away (2+ years) and for now its nice, on what will be my daily driver, to be able to walk into a parts store and tell them I need X sensor for a 2006 GMC Yukon 5.3 with FlexFuel and they mostly have it on the shelf, even here in middle of no where Maine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-xofqe-DgQ

Last edited by skyphix; 01-02-2020 at 04:53 PM.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote