The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2020, 01:13 AM   #1
Jscompto

79 GMC C30 to K30 conversion questions on front axle

Hey guys,
I've been converting my 79 GMC C3500 to a K3500 for the past almost 3 years. It's a cab and chassis model and has a dump bed. Started out as just an engine swap because the one that was in it threw a rod one day. Then my buddy gave me a parts truck (1980 Chevy K20). I used a bunch of things off of it and then decided to put all the 4WD stuff on my truck.
It's been a fun and frustrating project so far. I've basically now done a restoration of the whole truck. It's my very first one ever so it's not perfect like most of the ones I see on here. I do have a question regarding the front and rear axle ratios though...
The C30 has 4.10 gearing in the 14 bolt dually rear end which I want to keep because it's better for it remaining a dump truck. The rear axle of the K20 had 3.73 gearing...so I can only assume the front axle has the same 3.73 gearing. I would also assume that it would not work with the 4.10 gearing I am leaving in the rear end. Do I switch the ring and pinion gears out or is it easier and less hassle to change out the entire axle? I'm not too concerned with it all just yet because I can always pull the drive shaft off and not use the 4WD. Just want to be prepared for what I need to do when I do make things jive up.
What are all you guys' suggestions??
Thanks in advance!
Jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote