The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
dubie

Engine update: antifreeze leak

Well we worked on the truck last night and got it all sealed back up. After getting so many suggestions on how to clean out this engine I took Bills advice. I also consulted a couple mechanic friends of mine and they said there wasn't a ton of coolant in the engine so it was n't very severe.
I followed Bills instructions below

"We have always drained it, wipered down the lifter galley area. Sort of flushed it with cheap oil, reassembled, filled cheap oil, ran it, drained refilled with cheap oil ran it a day or so to check for leakes. Drained and refilled....Normally ran it a week or so, then changes again with the good stuff. "

I kept the plug out and ran 5 litres of cheap oil thru the engine and halfway thru flushing, the oil became clear again. After it was done flushing, I installed the plug and a new filter and dumped some more of the cheapo oil in. We installed the intake with new gaskets and sealant, hooked everything up, brought the engine to TDC dropped in the dist. and lined up the rotor to fire on #1 . Turned the key and she WOULDN"T FRIKKIN START!!
Kept turning over and popping like a popcorn machine. So I figured I would take the distributor out again and re time it. Got her all back together again, SAME THING!! NO GO. By that time I was out of time and patience with the mosquitos, so I called it a night. I came into work early and tried it again, Brought the engine to TDC (#1 cylinder was blowing out and the mark on the ballancer was at zero) dropped in the dist. lined up the rotor, dropped the cap on, hooked up the wires, made sure the firing order was right, and turned the key, STILL NO LUCK!!!I must be doin something wrong here guys. Before this leak, the engine would fire right up, but I also had some troubles with timing it before. I am gonna take another stab at it after work and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help and thanks for listening to my bullsh!t I gotta get this thing running

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote