The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
SactoJim

Shock Search - 4.5/6 drop

I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to locate a quality shock that will work with my drop (4.5 / 6) which seems pretty common.....wondering what everyone else is running and how happy (or unhappy) they are.

I've researched just about all of better monotube designs but the biggest problem I'm having is the compressed length of most shocks that ends up giving me only an inch or less of compression travel distance. From a cost standpoint, I like the Bilsteins but travel distance is still a problem (for the part #'s I've located in this forum). I called RCD and they gave me some part numbers that they said would work but they are close to $200 a shock and are Bilsteins anyway. I do have shock relocation kit on the back but the front is stock. I do have (been in a box for many years!) the front top relocation brackets that bolt on top of the frame but it looks like you have to trim the inner fender for clearance. Hotchkis makes front upper relocation brackets as well but they want a **** ton for those brackets! Talked to the Hotchkis people and I would need to spend close to $800 for their front and rear kits.

At the end of the day, my truck is just street driven but I do want it to drive and handle well and willing to spend some coin to accomplish but I don't want to go nuts.

Center to center shock dims on my truck at ride height:
Front - 11"
Rear - 13.5"

What are you all running with similar drops / specs?
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote