The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #1
Sheepdip

A/C System Trouble Shooting

Ok I'm looking for some suggestions on what's happening here with my A/C system.

I'm leaning towards a bad compressor but I will be taking it to a pro for a second opinion before I cry wolf to the vendor if I can't resolve the issue with some guidance/suggestions from all you smart guy's out there.

History: 1970 GMC... Everything is new, compressor, hoses, condenser, dryer/filter, POA upgrade valve with binary cut out switch, evaporator, expansion valve.

With the exception of the POA upgrade valve all sourced thru LMC Truck.

Today I pulled a vacuum on the new system, pulled right down both sides and held for over an hour with no issues.
Here's where things went south, I started feeding the R134A into the suction side and it went to about 30 psi and climbing right away to about 50 psi and the binary switch kept cycling the clutch out ...high pressure side was almost nothing and remained almost nothing eventually climbing to about 25psi

I then with the engine off I fed some refrigerant thru the high side port and got it up to about 100 psi then shut it down and went back to feeding thru the low port with the compressor engaged, I jumped the binary switch to keep the compressor from cycling in and out and got the low side up to about 70 psi, but I'm assuming all was from can pressure, because my high side is still 100 and never went any higher.

I let it set for about an hour while I scratched my head and tried to figure it out. Rechecked the gauges and still 70psi on the low and 100psi on the high.

It's like the compressor is not processing anything thru it.

I'm open to suggestions if you got any.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote