The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
G8rN@te61

Shadetree Electrics

So years ago my uncle changed out the blown 235 with a Camaro 250 in my '61. When he did they disconnected the 3 on the tree and associated column wiring. All the wires are gone and he had a three way switch for the blinkers and a separate wire going back to each brake light. I don't know why but he had the truck wired all kinds of weird ways and it never worked right. So when I got the truck I completely went through it and changed all of the wiring up to the steering column with new harnesses. I had no brake lights but have blinkers, night lights etc. The brake hot originally went through the steering column harness and back to the rear lights. Since it uses the same two wires for the rear lights I cannot wire the brakes and blinkers to them simultaneously (using the three way) because when you turn on a blinker it cross feeds to the other blinker and makes them flashers.

So I rewired it to have brakes only but would like to figure out how to make the blinkers work without having to rebuild the column. I plan on doing this in the future for a frame off and replacing with an IDITIT. So wondering if I don't use one of this POS universal blinker kits thats straps on to the column and blocks everything and snags knuckles, is there some way to wire up the blinkers with a three way switch again?

Some kind of inline relay to keep the current from feeding across? I am sure someone has done something like this and would love some input!
thanks,
Nate
G8rN@te61 is offline   Reply With Quote