The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
hamjet

Manual to power steering .....

Well, I don't really know how to start this thread other than tell you what I've done, and where I'm at. I've been telling myself for 2 years I was going to bite the bullet and go power steering, and finally did, this past week. All rebuilt parts from Rock Auto, which I always had good luck with. It took a few hours to do the swap, pretty straight forward. Then bleeding the system to get the air out. all done, now for the test drive, Oh boy happy happy. well, not quite. While it was a world of difference over the armstrong steering, I noticed a problem. while it steered easy, on a right hand turn it was effortless, almost too easy. I could do it with my pinkey, but to turn left, it took more effort. twice as hard. had to use my hand. drove for a little while trying to diagnose the problem in my head, I'm thinking allignment, something binding in the steering system, who knows.... So I just came in from checking it out. I went right for the throat. I jacked it up removed the pitman arm off the gear, started the truck and turned the wheel right, and then left. real easy to the right, definate drag turning to the left...Its in the gearbox. BUMMER! now what, I guess I have to contact Rock auto monday... Whats in the gear that would cause this, has anyone else had the same problem with a gearbox? Thanks for listening to my whine, Joe..