The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
03BlkZ

My build thread 70 C10

This past December my dad and I began work on his 70 C10 that he bought new back in 70. He daily drove this truck for almost 30 years and the parked it inside his shop for almost 20 years. A couple of years ago I tried to buy it from him but he didnt want to let it go since he was about to retire from a 40+ year career in auto body and paint and he had plans to work on it. Well fast forward a couple of years and the truck was still untouched. I decided I would handle the monetary investment if we could work on it together. The plan was for us to fix it up and he is going to keep it and enjoy it until that day comes then it will come to me. However he went ahead and gave it to me bit I plan to let him keep it at their house for him to enjoy. Anyway in December I went and pulled it out of his shop and cleaned the shop so we have room to work. We started by pulling the bed so he could start work there and I could work om the rear end and frame. I went ahead and went thru the rear end and freshened it up, replaced all bushings and hardware in the trailing arms, replaced the shocks and springs, brake lines and emergency brake cables. I decoded to keep the rear drum brakes but will be disc in the front. I wire wheeled everything really good and applied two coats of chassis saver paint. Looks really good. All the while dad was repairing rust and doing other work on the bed. We needed a new tailgate and passenger front fender so we picked those uo from Southwest Classics in Arlington TX. Great place to shop! Next I removed the fenders and hood to prep to get the engine removed. The engine has been rebuilt once before and has been bored .030 so I am not sure what I will do yet as far as the motor goes. The transmission will get rebuilt. It is a 3 on the tree and I intend to keep it that way. This is the first vehicle I ever drove and learned to drive into this baby. Engine then came out and I started to disassemble the front end. I replaced the front shocks, upper and lower control arm shafts, springs and all new hardware up front. We pilainted the rest of the frame with the chassis saver paint also after cleaning with a wire wheel. I also bought a CPP disc brake kit for the front as well as brake lines, booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve. The brake kit went on flawlessly and it also contained upper and lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends. I plan to rebuild the steering box if I can find parts or maybe just replace it if not. I am keeping manual steering. I went ahead and did a test fit of the booster and all components including brake lines to make sure everything fit properly. Next got the interior all removed except for the dash and steering column. I took all the compontent s out of the doorsand will need to replace everything except the glass. That's essentially where we are right now. Dad finished the body work on the bed and driver fender so he primed them for now. The truck will be repainted huggar orange but only have a with top. We decided to get rid of the lower trim . I will contonie to update this thread as I go once this damn corona virus hopefully passes. Sorry for the lengthy post. Now on to the pics.
Attached Images

03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote