The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
May70

Exclamation C20 disc brake conversion help thread

I know the question has been posed many times, I have read through about 15 threads. The problem is many people have input on those threads and there are vast discrepancies with "what you need" I would like to clear up (I will also note most of the reply's came from people who haven't actually done the swap and dont know from experience). For what ever reason I dont see a sticky guide for this topic (for the MINIMUM requirements), so if I missed it please tell me.

Some say you must:
(1) Take the whole cross arm and everything from a donor
(2) Take just the control arms and spindles from a donor
(3) Buy the kit (expensive & simple)
(I am just talking basics right now not all encompassing)

To do 1 & 2 does not make logical since because the kit ONLY comes with spindles to be used with stock control arms. Why would you take anything else besides the spindles from a donor and go through all the hassle to do that if all you need are the spindles, even more so for the whole cross member??????? Common sense here is screaming people dont know what they are talking about so they do (1) take the whole cross member (more than they need). Someone has to have a better answer than that or maybe I am just totally missing a key concept here. I know there are many ways to do this (1 & 2 might work) but why would you put in all that extra effort and money when you dont have to? Someone please dumb this down for us common folk.

I have a completely refinished frame with fully rebuilt front end drum brakes. Its all painted, new ball joints, completely rebuilt and ready to be taken to the alignment shop (the whole nine). I've decided to convert it to disc brakes, so I want to know exactly the (minimum) parts that I need to swap over to prevent unnecessary work and expense. I have refinished upper and lower control arms, spindles off a 75 c20 and brand new hub assembly's. I am already partially frustrated because I went to the hassle of getting the donor frame and refinishing all that based on what I now believe to be inaccurate information. Also I am highly considering throwing discs on the back, which I recall the kit being about $600-700, so I am not going to reinvent the wheel for that price (half of the front conversion).

I am going to reply to this thread with exactly what I end up doing so please reply if you have done this swap already and know from experience. Too many of these threads the OP never said what they ended up doing to make it work. A complete part list will be provided when I finished. I highly appreciate the feedback.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote