The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
phlegm
Still Green but learning

exhaust spatter

I have recently made quite a few changes to my system, but I am still noticing exhaust spatter with dark matter in there. I searched the site and think I am on the right path, but was looking for some more tips.

What I did,
Rebuilt Carb, New Fuel tank/lines/pump, HEI, Plugs, Wires, New Headers, new exhaust/mufflers, Engine has 70K

Last week I figured out that I had some trash in my carb from the week I ran it before the tank change. It wasnt letting my pin valve seat right AND I never adjusted my timing for HEI so I was running fat and the bowl was overflowing. I was backfiring it was rough. I got those adjusted Sunday.

Thursday while testing something I noticed a lot of gas smell when it first fired up so I figured it was still running fat.

Friday I was installed a Tach and while I was testing it I noticed yet again water out the exhaust and black spatter.

Here are my thoughts:
It was cool out last night (probably 50) I am not getting a Ton of smoke of any color. The water coming out the back was not antifreeze, my AF is green and it wasnt green at all. So I think that the water was natural condensation because I didnt "run" the engine. I was just sitting at idle messing with the tach. I think black spatter is because I am still running FAT so I adjusted the mixture screws down to rough idle and then back up a half turn each. I set my fast idle at 1100 and my idles at about 700.

Do you guys think I am on the right track? some of my buddies do but some of them also believe in the tooth fairy I am pretty sure
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote