The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
pilotXC

Steering Wonder

I have a 72 K20 and the steering has always been a bit loose, but when I first got it 4 years ago I replaced all the tie rod ends and drag link joints with Moog parts and installed a new steering gear. It was still a little loose, especially on the highway, but I don't drive it much and thought it was just an old truck and not an issue.
I did an engine swap on it and the alignment was off again, so I brought it to get aligned and they said the steering gear was missing a bushing from the output shaft and thats why my wheel had so much play. I brought the gear back to where I got it and they rebuilt it for me and I just reinstalled it. It's a little better, but there is still some wonder and loose wheel play, even when parked and the truck off the wheel will go back and forth a couple inches each direction.
Am I crazy or should it be really tight, like very little play when parked and engine off? I'd love it if it was tighter, but not sure if the column has adjustment or parts that could be worn as well?
Any help or advice would be great, thank you.
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote