The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Looking for very specific advice

When I say specific Im looking for part numbers etc ...

I'm going to be doing a thorough tune on my C30 with 402/T400/Dually. I would love to have your advice on which parts to purchase and install. My dream is to do this once and do it right. This truck hasn't been on the road for years and years, but it has been started and moved around the small property where it was stored several times a year.

It needs a water pump and I have been given good advice and part numbers for a new one on another thread.

I'm going to take the radiator out and have it cleaned and tested.

What plugs would you use?

Which plug wires do you like?

What kind of oil? ... Truck has 80K original miles.

I think upgrading to an HEI is a good idea. What you recommend for this upgrade?

What about the carb, go ahead and send it off too?

This thing was a motor home in its old life, do you think even if the trans fluid smells and looks ok I should change it anyway?

Ill be doing a lot of other things with the truck before it hits the road, but I believe I have a decent handle on that. Its been ages since Ive had to give a truck a super good tune. My last three were either done when I got them or so long ago many things have changed in the tune up world. And two were small block 4sp trucks.

Id love to get this thing on the road with a nice flatbed and drive it relatively trouble free for a long time.

Now that I think about it there are a couple other things Im thinking about that may or may not need to be done but considering doing anyway ... thoughts?

The power steering seems to be fine, but I think I may send the pump and the box to the place that has been recommended here on the board many times (I have it written down). Ill probably pick up some new lines while I'm at it.

Lastly Im considering a new master and booster. Again they seem to be working fine ... Is this smart preventative maint, or a waste of money?

As usual I appreciate your thoughts and ideas ...