The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
66 C10 383

How technical should we get?

I am not trying to open a can or worms or start any arguments. Just a nice friendly discussion. I understand there are
several ways to get things done. I'd like your opinions.

I've built old school small block Chevys so I've got a good idea what I'm doing until I get to these LS engines. I know a
1000hp engine build is going to be a lot more involved than a 350hp street motor. That's what I'm building, an under 500hp
street motor. I'm 60 years old now. I want to build it once, install it, and drive it anywhere in the U.S. I want to go
without worry. That's why I'm taking the time to freshen it up with new rings & bearings, cam & lifters, gaskets & seals,
etc so I don't have to rely on a salvage yard engine with unknown miles on it. Yeah, it's cheaper to replace than to rebuild,
(throw-away world getting to engines now ... ) but I want to know what I'm installing IS ready for another lifetime
worth of service. I'm looking for factory reliability or better. If I could afford a crate engine, I'd go that route for the warranty reasons but that's not in my budget.

So, with that being said, just how technical should a guy get when freshening up one of the engines?

I've seen engine builds where people use the $100 cover alignment tools and some don't. Some disassemble the oil pump
to shim it to the crank and some just slide it on and torque it down. I've seen guys that go thru the firing order to torque
down the rockers and again, some just put them on the rocker stands and torque them dowm. Some people will de-torque the heads in reverse order when removing them. I've even seen some reuse the tty headbolts (yes, I'm replacing mine).

I can see doing upgrades to increase the reliability as in better parts - LS7 lifters, newer style timing chains, stuff like
that.

What's your thoughts on all this? What needs to be done and when do you start getting into overkill?

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784

Last edited by 66 C10 383; 07-03-2020 at 03:22 PM.
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote