The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
botboy
Account Suspended

Just won a biiiiig truck on ebay. Questions abound.

Woohoo!
I've been looking for a bigger truck to use during the summer when I'm pulling old cars & trucks out of fields and fixing them up to sell, and I found one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

1968 C50, Small block, 5 speed, white (ugh! that'll get changed soon), currently has a fiberglass utility box on it.

Bid $450, won at $103.50.

After I bid (I bid right after the auction went up) the seller added that it has an IL junk title, which (supposedly) means it can't be retitled. I could part the truck (which I don't really want to do but could profit from) or I could swap a 67-72 light duty truck body onto this big heavy frame and use that title (which is technically legal as I understand it but a lot of work and money).

However, I've heard of less than moral individuals (aka used car dealerships) retitling junk-titled vehicles that have been in floods, so would it be possible for me to have it inspected somehow (either in IL or here in MN) and retitled as a road vehicle so I could use it for my own personal use in moving junkers? Would I be better off getting a bill of sale from the seller and claiming he lost the title and applying for a lost title here in MN? Would that cause problems at the DMV if it has an existing junk title in IL?

I have the option available to me from a local junkyard, assuming I can get this truck roadworthy again, to buy a full hydraulic car/truck wrecker setup off of the back of a '69 C30 that he has sitting in his yard for $250 (nobody else has even inquired about it, apparently, and he'll cut it off and load it for me at no additional charge, and it worked when he put the truck out to pasture a few months ago ). Are the frame widths the same, and if not how much fabbing/modifying would I have to do to make the wrecker setup fit on the back of the big truck?

Seller says truck has a 5-speed, what transmission would this be? Is it an overdrive? Would it fit in my '72 C10 if I decided to part the truck?

What kind of rear end would this truck have?

Anybody interested in the fiberglass utility box?

Anybody passing thru or near Moro, IL with an empty trailer towards MN anytime soon?

Anything I should worry about or check on the big truck when getting it running again?
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote