The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
bhobbs

Alternator bracket woes for '68 327

Just found the list, looks like a lot of useful info.

Does anyone know what alternator bracket I should be using on my '68 GMC? I've got a 327 with factory air(so ac bracket is on passenger side, and alt. bracket is on driver side). I fried the wiring in the truck two years ago, and have finally gotten around to replacing most of the electric bits. I replaced the sketchy alternator I had with a one-wire "Si" style one, and at the same time, I replaced my headers with some Hooker headers that came with a mounting plate that comes off the front two bolts, and then has slots that the actual mounting bracket for the new alternator bracket to slide in. My problem is that the old upper mounting bracket(the one with the slide space for tensioning the belt) is almost at max extension, and the alternator is butted up against the mounting tab on the headers(it could swing free towards the fenders, but its restricted by the upper bracket, and can swing no further towards the engine). This will definitely put the alternator beyond the stock belt, and doesn't really give me enough room to tension the belt I don't think.

Any thoughts here? Since I moved to a newer alternator, is there a newer bracket I need to swipe from a later year? Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Barry
'68 GMC Custom LWB
bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote