The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #1
fishmunger

Was your dash cut / hacked for a stereo? Here's a solution: Awesome Storage Box

Over the past 8 months, I've been fixing up a mostly original 72 K10 that will soon (hopefully) be my patina'd daily driver / work truck. Trying to keep it mostly stock but I've made a few small changes that I think make it more practical. One issue that I had is that it came with an old CD player, and the dash had been cut for it. Who needs a stereo these days when you can just use your iphone to bluetooth to an external speaker?!

So I thought, I'm gonna make that hole into a *****in' storage box to put my phone when its plugged into the cig lighter to charge, to throw spare change in, etc, etc.

So I removed the stereo and cut the hole out nice and even, and then I made a cardboard template until I got the box just the way I wanted it. After that, it was off to a local fab shop to have them make a 'copy' of my prototype out of stainless steel.

I bolted it in place with some nice button head allen bolts and used a bit of transmission pan rubber gasket between the box and the SS backing plates I made so that it wouldn't have any wiggle or vibration issues.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! I think it looks great, its super stout, and is the perfect size to hold 2 iphones side by side (last pic of the pink phone is the wife's), and really adds some practical storage to these trucks which don't have a ton to begin with.

This may have been done before, but either way, just thought I'd share!
Attached Images

fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote