The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #26
dmjlambert

Re: Getting up the nerve to tackle A/C, need to remove the old

Well because of my inexperience, when I hammered the long pin out I was destroying the fiberglass on top of the box and didn't know it until I had it apart. What a disappointment. What I should have done is put something wooden or metal on the door edge so the door was not cutting through the fiberglass box.

Name:  2020-10-03 12.20.45.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  77.6 KB

This slowed me down. I recovered from this by gathering the pieces and supergluing. There were 2 fairly large chunks. Then to fill in the parts that turned to dust I used superglue and baking soda to make my own super strong plastic. After it cured I smoothed it with a dremel-like grinder. It came out decent. I think it's good to go for another 50 years. When I put the door back on, I padded the door edge with a popsicle stick and therefore did not damage the fiberglass on the bottom of the box.

Name:  2020-10-11 15.20.30.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  87.0 KB

The original rubber was interesting. I think when they made the door, they submersed it into a mold with liquid rubber and let it cure to solid rubber. I cut it off while trying not to destroy it so I could use it as a template.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote