The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
54blackhornet

Removing Original Equipment Lap Belt Bolts.

Thought I would share my experience removing them from my 72 GMC 1500. First job was removing the plastic covers from the retractors. One was no problem, I just pulled up on it a off it came . The other was a %itch. I eventually got it to release by looking underneath the one that came off easy. Located the nibs on two sides that hold them on. Pried up with large screwdriver and it released. I then BP Blasted both retractor bolts . Passenger side first I unscrewed a bit and again hit it with BP. I did this numerous times over a few days. Next i I wired wheeled the visible end of the bolt Protruding from the captured nut. BP again on ir along with anti seeze paste. After a few back and forth motions the bolt came out easy. The drivers side is more of a problem with the original gas tank installed up close to the retractor. Going back out now to try to figure out how to get to the 13/16 bolt almost hidden. I will post photos of original GM bolt used.