The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
HGG123

1987 Dual Tanks Valve Switch Problem??

I'll describe the problem as best I can. The truck is a 305 model (soon to be a 350) with TBI and dual tanks. It quit running the other day and I found a blown fuse for the ECM. It continued to blow fuses until I put a 20 amp in it and it then got me home (only about 4 miles). I then put the proper fuse back in it and it no longer blows the fuse, but is not running properly. It will start, but not run as soon as you press the gas pedal.

When it first happened the I checked the dual tank switch on the dash...in the past I found if it gets bumped in between the rt and left position, the truck will quit running as soon as the fuel in the line is used up. That was not the problem, but I did notice the fuel gauge was no longer changing between the tanks and when I do change the switch, the truck stops running.

I did some research and found the switch valve and sending units run through the ECM and was advised that since the ECM fuse was blown, I probably had a bad ECM. I have changed the ECM and still have the same problem. Now, I am thinking the switch vavle may be the problem, but don't want to change it without being fairly sure (it's $206.00 and I can only find it through Chevy).

Sorry for the length of this post....trying to give as much info as possible. This is my first post here and I have read tons of GREAT info and hoping someone has had a similar problem and can give me some advice. Thanks guys!!
HGG123 is offline   Reply With Quote