The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
conoco

Thoughts on keeping truck original or not

I bought my 1972 gmc sierra grande and I was lucky enough that the entire truck is original. Nothing has been replaced ( I should say added that wasn't there originally, nobody has gutted the electrical to put in modern crap, or just the typical stuff you see on these trucks. Everyone wants to make them modern and ends up botching it or only completing half of it.
I am at a point where I need to decide if I want to start replacing all the original stuff with new stuff like ( Side moldings, paint etc...) or scrapping the moldings and everything else, solid paint scheme or keep it two tone and filling in some of the holes from the molding and making everything more stream line. Plus all the small stuff here and there.

I see alot of nice trucks out there that are gorgeous, but I can't help but be hesitant when it comes with replacing things with modern stuff, or turning my truck into just another one you see around town that is half done. I rarely see all original trucks in our years, when I do see them I just awe at them. Not because they look any better, but just because it's 50 years old and I guess there is a certain nostalgia that you can't help but feel from that era.

Just looking for pros and cons of going either route. Keeping the look how it came off the floor ( Which is way more expensive) or putting a modern touch on it. I love the look of a well done clean looking truck that has some comforts. But I am perfectly ok with the roughness of the stock ride and look.

The only thing that isn't stock is the Gear Vendors kit I have for my th350 ( Which is the best purchase I ever made) and the lift kit, which is really only new and larger springs. Everything else is original. Just looking for thoughts on anyone that has struggled with the same thought and what route you ended up going. Are you happy you went that route? do you regret it? Thanks,

Truck Specs
1972 k2500 sierra grande
350 turned into a 383
Eaton rear end with 4.11s
Gear vendors OD kit / TH350
4 inch lift on 35s
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote