The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
deadshort52

'71 402 engine questions

I have a 1971 C20 with a stock 402 motor. I had planned on buying one of the Edelbrock top end kits that comes with the aluminum heads, camshaft, intake lifters and other required trinkets to do the job. I called last week to order the parts... I have been procrastinating for a year to order. I learned that I had two things against me at this point. First is Edelbrock is relocating their manufacturing facility and second apparently covid had caused them to fall behind. I was told that the earliest I could expect delivery is May 15th. I of course have time and want to do it now. If I don't do this project now I won't get to it for two more years. I will be building a new house and shop that will eat up my time.

All that I am looking to accomplish is to add a little pep to this way under powered motor. I don't know the history of the motor but the engine is healthy, it burns no oil, has good compression, no smoke etc. I have been driving it for 5 years now and it's reliable and sound. I had planned to pull the engine and disassemble, clean up and assess where to go from there as to whether it needed further machine work etc.

Now that I can't get my parts and I don't really want to wait I am looking for ideas. I am thinking of just doing the cam, lifters, rockers, intake because I can find these items individually, there are no heads available. I have built many SBC for my own race cars but never have even opened up a BBC. I am seeing the term oval, peanut and square port terms being thrown around with regards to head and intake runners. What did these trucks come with? Is the only way to know for sure to get casting numbers or pull it apart? I have done an in the truck cam swap a couple of times in a square body truck for buddies of mine years ago. How big of a PIA is it on one of these? AM I still better off to just pull the engine?

Thanks in advance...
deadshort52 is offline   Reply With Quote