The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2021, 03:16 AM   #1
Phoax

Richmond 4+1 Amateur Install

I'm a youngish(35) solo hot rodder and learn everything through trial and error or online research. I have to stop work and go buy tools often. My truck had a 3 speed and I wanted more gears. I bought this Richmond 4+1 pulled from an old Corvette a couple years ago on craigslist for $1100, with hurst shift linkage and yoke. I just got around to installing it and it was not easy. Getting the truck up high enough was an adventure but once I had the old transmission off I realized the Richmond had more splines so I needed a new clutch. So I stalled a new flywheel and pressure plate for good measure. So FYI you can't install the transmission with the bellhousing on on a 67 C10 due to crossmember. So I took it back apart and installed the bellhousing separate. Aligning the transmission through the bellhousing and throwout bearing solo is not easy either. I did many things in the wrong order and had to take things apart to access a bolt I needed on the next step. I also had to cut a new hole in the floor for the shifter and remove the transmission and re cut multiple times to get it right. Anyway working on these old trucks, esp mine, a frankentruck is always a puzzle. I put in a crossmember I ordered as well.

I was planning on posting a bunch of photos but am running to issues. These forums seem to only accept direct urls and the phone image hosting sites I'm trying are not giving me actual urls. Ug! I'll try again later. sry

Last edited by Phoax; 06-06-2021 at 03:30 AM.
Phoax is offline   Reply With Quote