The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2004, 05:12 AM   #1
landpro00

Starter Overheating/ HAMMERTIME, LOL

Hi all!!

Well, I've been having this problem with my truck since I got it. Does OK in the cooler winter weather, but usually have to replace the solenoid AT LEAST once every summer. The engine compartment gets so hot you can barely stand to put air in the front tires.

My truck has a 454 that was fuel injected, but have recently changed it over to carb. setup due to other issues.

I've tried several things including: new radiator, new thermostat, spark plugs(currently using plug with .045 gap), timing check( currently set at about 8). Nothing helped. I had purchased a starter shield from GM, as there isn't one on it, but couldn't figure out how to mount it and apparently threw it away 'cause I looked for it the other day and couldn't find it.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or can maybe point me in some other directions to try?

I did read an article somewhere that said improper advance settings in the distributer can cause overheating, can anyone confirm this and if it's true, are all distributers adjustable and if not how can I tell if mine is. It's not a factory distributer and I'm not sure who makes it. All I can tell you is that it's blue, if that's any help.

Any advice appreciated and sorry for the lengthy post!!!
landpro00 is offline   Reply With Quote