The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
AD8

'61 Apache - Problem with reverse

Looking for a good place to start troubleshooting a little problem.

This happened once a while back, a month or so later. Yesterday, again, now it's time to figure it out.

When backing down the driveway to park, in reverse (stock, column shift, 235), while manuevring the truck into position, the clutch pedal will be in and out, alternating between brake and gas. When it came time to finally stop and shut down, I depressed the clutch, applied the brakes and attempted to move gearshift lever from reverse to neutral - but the lever was stuck, it would not disengage. I pumped the clutch and felt a slight loss of pedal. As the truck was still in gear and still moving backward, I turned off the key. I pumped the clutch again, depressed the pedal and the lever moved without resistance into neutral. Pedal pressure returned.

Never had any problems in forward gears. No sticking, popping out of gear, stiffness or grindng. Always smooth action going through the gears, up and down.

I haven't owned a manual trans in years (though have driven a lot of them). Looking for a good starting point to solve this problem. Appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks,

AD8
AD8 is offline   Reply With Quote