The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2021, 11:43 PM   #1
jeff74

Dana 60 stuff , a speedi sleeve was required..

I don't really know what I was thinking not changing the pinion seal sooner. I did the rear hub seals and got the hubs installed the other day, kind of thought the pinion seal might be okay... not sure why I thought that

Filled the diff with oil last night and of course it was leaking this morning. I had drilled the case and installed a drain plug (the diff had a place for a drain plug, it just wasn't drilled) , I drained the oil into the clean container to save it. Got the pinion seal replaced, speedi sleeve installed on the yoke, I might have put it on a bit further , but the flange pretty much prevented that. I think, from my measurements that it should be okay. Also, installed sleeves on the spindles, so I should be good for a while.

I had the gears out a while ago to wire brush and flush out the axle tubes, they had a quarter inch of goo in them. When the gears were out I noticed that it didn't take much to spin the pinion shaft, I think it's supposed to be several inch pounds. I have the nut back to where it was right now, would it help to give it another little bit of a turn?
Attached Images