The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2021, 12:18 AM   #1
Accelo

Installing tailgate trim.

I have been working on installing the tailgate trim pieces and am having some difficulties. Fist it not a surprise this trim isn't like the original stuff. That out of the way is time to do what I can with whats available.
First;
I installed the center bezel. I made a drill template so I could get the hole spacing correct. The re-pop stud's center-line is off from the assembly manual by .020. Doesn't seem like much but the barrel nuts have no tolerance for error.
Second;
The edge of the aluminum trim doesn't fit the center handle bezel. I suspect they are manufactured by different companies. But the end of the aluminum piece failed to surround the chrome center handle. I have taken some pictures. Not much I can do here. My only thought was to cut the aluminum trim a little shorter so it would fit the handle better as the handle bezel is tapered at the ends, thus it may look a little better. In the pictures the aluminum is only slid on about half the way it needs to be. The aluminum trim was made by Counter Parts. 62-319 Tailgate trim, upper left, 67-72.
Third;
I laid out the holes for the aluminum trim strip figuring they would be in the center of the trim strip. The clip's center is offset at least an 1/8" from the center of the aluminum strip. Again pictures included. Then, I figured out I was installing the clips incorrectly, as shown in the photo. When I reversed the clips lined up with the center to the aluminum. It works a lot better if you install the clips correctly. The clips I purchased look like the a smaller version of the ones used to install the tail-light bezels.
The assembly manual doesn't give the hole diameter. I will have to drill some test holes to see what works best.

I am confident GM assembly line workers took 30 seconds to install this trim. I am counting the hours and I am not done.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 10-28-2021 at 01:52 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote