The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
elorenzof

Engine Set too far back

I am replacing an engine in a 68 c10. It currently has a 350 small block with a "4 on the floor". R, 1, 2 and 3. It originally had a straight six.

For the customer, i am to replace the engine with a rebuilt small block. The old small block used to have a non HEI distributor, and due to the trans mounting, (still factory mounting with the trans crossmember still riveted to the frame) the smaller distributor's cap was only about 1/4 inch away from the firewall. (toward the back of the distributor cap, the spark plug wires rubbed on the firewall.

Because it HAD a straight six, I'm assuming the trans was set back further? as the engine in it now that i pulled out was not only super close to the firewall, but was also tipped back at an angle with the front of the engine way higher than the back. After pulling the motor out, i noticed that the engine perches are further back than a normal small block perch, and the bottom bolt of the perches were not bolted down, but just resting on the center of the front crossmember as whomever replaced the straight six didnt bother to drill and bolt down the perches.

I need this engine to be set forward. for many reasons. To make it properly set and for distributor clearance. What do i do? I can pull and replace engines all day, but i need some advise. The 4 on the floor standard trans does not have one trans mount in the center of the trans like a th350 and 400 but has two mounts one on the left and one on the right.

Do i: pull the trans, un-rivet the transmission crossmember, move it forward, and set the engine and trans properly and extend the driveline? if so, what about the linkage for the clutch? how do i keep it aligned properly? moivng the trans forward will change the projection and orientation of the clutch z bar mount on the engine not to mention with it moved forward the clutch mounting on the frame will still be in the original place and not align either.

Im sure someone else has been thru this, i just need some direction.

Thank you!!

Lorenzo
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote