The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
BASE

BB Swap Using Squarebody Crossmember/Mounts

I read a bit about using the later model crossmember and mounts in the 67-72 trucks here. A couple of build threads where they were used and some scans of an old magazine article that describe it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663541

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...79#post6705979

And FirstC10's awesome build thread where he used it to install an LS.

Just curious if anyone around here currently has done the mod with an older big block install. I had always planned on moving the engine to the fwd set of holes in the frame to try and avoid interference with the firewall. I haven't seen anyone mention moving the mounts forward when using the later model crossmember though. Both mounts look to be more or less centering the engine mounts on the frame holes, so I'm curious how it wouldn't have the same interference issues. Sits lower maybe?

I guess there isn't going to be any way to get around trial fitting this thing at least once but I'd like to minimize smashing and bashing of all my pretty new parts if I can. I'm thinking I'll temp install the mounts where I think they should be and carefully try and maneuver the engine/tranny/xfer case into place and see how it all looks with the headers and stuff.

Pics of the transplant project:
Attached Images

Last edited by BASE; 02-26-2022 at 11:27 AM.
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote