The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
chris989

Another TBI build seeking advice, Head, cam options

Hello all,

Hard to believe it has been 6 years since my first TBI buiild for the 89 burb. Other than the GM crate motor eating the thrust bearing and having to replace the crank the motor has been flawless. The combination really runs well. We downsizes our camper to a hybrid so i have even less weight to deal with.

That said, I am considering another build.

I read many threads about aftermarket heads and cams and they all get hijacked or never conclude. If you followed my other build you see that i see it through to the end.

Anyway,, Who has sawpped their TBI heads for a set of aftermarket AFR, Trick flow, etc. Or even a vortec head. What combination did you use? what do you like or wahat would you do differently?

On big grades i have to run 3rd gear at 55-60 mph, (probably should be anyway). Big headwinds give me the most grief. I get ~13-15 mpg around town and average 11-12 on our last trip. Honestly i can't ask for better.

So all said, I am thinking of a roller cam this time and a set of heads. Considered a new 406 dart block, Had one built for my camaro and love it.

we all understand the limitation os the TBI and a 350 but there is something nice about the reliability and having parts anywhere we go.

If you have a build, advice or can point me to a forum I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote