The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2022, 01:09 PM   #1
nikwho

To raise bed floor or to notch?

I need to figure out what to do with my bed floor. It's been unfinished for WAY too long! I've got a 4" C-notch that penetrates my bed floor by just an inch or two. My battery is mounted on the R frame rail, just in front of axle. '70 Mustang fuel tank between frame rails rear of axles, so my fuel filler neck is rear center of bed floor. Oh, I will have small wheel tubs, too.

I need to finish my bed floor. I've been putting it off, figuring that the answer would just come to me. It's been years. It gives my truck a janky (distasteful?) vibe. I've also put off starting my oaint and body work, as I want to have the bed situation figured out before moving forward. Ultimately, I'd like to find a fleetside bed, but that same issue will need to be addressed, regardless.

ACTUALLY, I REALLY want to finish both a fleet and step side bed, and paint both at the same time. I'd LOVE to be able to swap back and forth between a fleetside and step side bed. Would be a pain to alway store the extra, but sounded fun, just to change up the look of the truck!

Anyhow, regardless of the bed used, I need to address it. So, at one point I bought a 4'x8' sheet of 16 gauge sheet metal, to weld up a small removable cover, to access the four link/coilovers/battery box. I also was considering a small wrap around upholstered seat in the front of the bed, like a boat has for a back seat, to have a place to sit. Would just drop into place and be secured with a couple of bolts.
Attached Images