The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

carb swap questions

i have never done this before but as i am a hardware man i figure its not too hard to do, plus i work at Ace Hardware so i can get my parts cheap if i need them. i am ordering the new carb tonight and want to make sure its all i need and how hard it is to swap.
Currently have stock 350 with Rochester quad in my 76.
So i am ordering 3 parts from Summitracing.com:
1) EDL-9913 Rebuilt 750 cfm Performer carb (new is 1411)
2) EDL-2697 Adapter plate for Edelbrock carb to Rochester quad intake
3) EDL-8135 Fuel line adapter kit since mine has the metal line with flare connection to carb.

I am not looking for great performance, just a good carb that wont give me major problems like this Rochester has.
As I've never done this before, one of my concerns is if the accelerator rod (from gas pedal) will connect up without problems to the new carb. Since i am getting the adapter plate (Edel carb to Roch intake) it should be a matter of taking off the 4 old bolts (looks like the 2 rear may be missing), disconnecting the fuel line and accelerator rod and vacuum hoses. Putting down the gasket, plate, gasket and new carb. Will i need 4 new short bolts to tighten down the plate to intake? Hopefully the carb will come with the long ones to tighten the carb to the plate. Everything else is a matter of hooking it back up and i didn't see any vacuum intake holes on the new carb so i hope that doesn't mess anything up.

Let me know if i am missing anything...
also if you know a reliable resource with some step by step instructions online with pictures, that would be a tremendous help.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote