The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2022, 08:13 PM   #27
HenrytheWound

Re: Finishing Bed Wood with oil: Does it last, Let's just see

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Any shiny spot is oil that's not dry. The oil takes a really long time to dry. I'm talking a month maybe more depending on where you live, humidity and such. Unless it's thick like a run, then you can scrape it lightly with a putty knife. But the oil is not dry so you cannot sand it... it would be like sanding wet tree sap.

j
I think this is heat-related bleed out. It's super hot and somewhat humid in Tucson right now and this issue started after I did the bake in the sun step. I had the boards bottom side up in my driveway on sawhorses for most of the day. Apparently there was some seepage on the tops which I didn't see until it was too late to fully wipe away.

Some of the recent shiny spots are wet and able to be wiped away but others have dried to some extent and cannot. Some of the thicker spots produce a waxy residue if I scratch them with a putty knife but most of the shiny spots are just shiny without any topography. I assume these are bleed out spots that I didn't wipe down in time and they have dried into a thin shiny film atop the wood.

I found a lot of woodworking forum posts describing tung oil bleed out especially in woods like red oak which is what I am using. I will be more diligent about keeping an eye on the bleed out from here on out but I'm not sure how to fix the spots I have already.
HenrytheWound is offline   Reply With Quote