The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Clutch Pedal Springs (odd clutch feel)....

I've been chasing down a weird clutch pressure/feel in my 68 C10 swapped to a Tremec TKO (also redid the whole linkage, new fork, throwout bearing and clutch). When I release the clutch pedal, it almost feels like the pedal wants to get stuck half way down and not return (I had to add two, very stiff return springs on the fork, which makes this feel somewhat better, but the pedal pressure lacks uniformity and lends itself to inadvertent clutch dumps).

Well after looking at my clutch assembly (picture below), I see I have a very large (and very stiff) spring that attaches to the mid-point of the clutch pedal (in addition to the normal thinner return spring at the top of the pedal arm). From what I can gather, not all C10s have this additional thick spring, and from reading one thread on here, it actually is used to pull the pedal to the floor, not return it to the top (which after disconnecting everything and playing with it, is exactly how it acts)- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ch+pedal+eric8

So I guess my question is, what is the purpose of this big heavy spring, why is it on just some trucks, and can I remove it to see if it fixes my problem? Even looking at LMC's clutch pedal component diagram, it doesn't show it, nor does Lokar's replacement pedals for these trucks even use it.

Nick
Attached Images

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote