The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Re: Nudder Music Thread: 67-72 Music

Yeah, Chris C. captured it all in that song. The somber mood conveys, the facts, the natives, the affect on the community are all well preserved.

I went through school throughout the Viet Nam war. By HS the reality I felt I was facing was first stop Viet Nam in '73. By then I was only going if drafted, I registered (as many my age did not), was classified, de-escalation had commenced, and the induction bill was voted down for the first time since it existed. So, I didn't go and while I can never say I can relate to your experience (and many guys I know), I did know a lot of how it was through vets I knew. I had a good idea of what I was looking at out ahead and it was to be my future.

I know how CCR's music integrates into the war, even songs with the war topic. Those songs were more for the rest of us, I figured, and you guys were digging on Suzy Q, Proud Mary, Born On The Bayou, and the other happy everyday back home tunes. Your connection to the normal life you were missing from. Creedence Clearwater Revival was a very widely enjoyed group across many lines. Very relatable in their nature. When movies, later on, were made with Nam as the subject, CCR was a sure fit. When I, a non-serving man, hear theirs and other popular music of the era I know you guys were listening to it brings you all to my mind.
Didn't go to war, but I went to work and this is the CCR song I most relate to. I hope you don't mind. Not one of their more popular tunes. I'm still singing that same tune . one of my all time favorite songs

And all that has a tie to 3757 Chevy's post on Christine McVey. I was a big 'early' Fleetwood Mac fan in HS, before anyone my age knew of them. Some how, from just a "hey howya doin'" out front of a convenience store I became good friends with Butch, a long haired bearded older than me (I was 15 in '70) guy wearing an Army fatigue jacket and driving a new '69 Z/28. He was from Florida. He invited me over to the apartment where he lived with Tom & Beverly, from AR, and Seiss from the Baltimore area. Butch and I shared the love of Fleetwood Mac and much other music. I hung many hours and did many things with them. No talk about the war, but I realized they were returning vets who served together, freshly returned, just decompressing and blending back in.

Christine came on during the period I hung with Butch.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-04-2022 at 09:29 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote