The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
Do it right the first time. Been going through a house renovation this year and have watched our contractor have to redo work more times than I wish to recall and every time it is because I have had to tell and prove to him him it wasn’t right oftentimes by just using a straight edge or a square.

I’m in manufacturing where tolerances are in microns and this project has had me questioning the building trade. Seeing your work gives me hope. Please mentor someone special-K!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
You have done a great Job on that shed I have been watchin' That.
Thanks for the props. I can use that from time to time. Funny thing is I took a job in Oct '20 after 38 years of self-employment. By Jan '22 my employer was firing me screaming I'm no carpenter and an effin idiot. He also had high standards but also serious ego issues and I'm sure many more. It's a crazy story.

It's the same with machining or any conceive/measure/create type of work. Most all carpenters have the talent to do their job to a high quality standard. What we need first is to even care, about the work, about the customer, and about ourselves. Then to stick to a standard that carries that out. After that it's about discipline to adhere to that standard. Making sure it's right the first time is a matter of maintaining quality, but also very much a matter of economics. A big effect on profit vs loss. That is my selfish concern if nothing else. Then comes reputation, which is paramount in my case for sure. My work comes by referral. I get a customer and I do what I can to keep them.

I have hired experienced carpenters who in the first week are asking again and again, "Is this good enough?", "Do you think we can get away with this?", "Do you think they'll notice this?", etc. After some of that I tell them they are aiming too low. There is very little perfection in the world and often perfection is not possible. But if you aim for it you will hit close to it. When you aim for good enough you risk hitting not good enough. I can't have that'

I also got the guys who leaped both feet first into things with no forethought. I love a hustler, but hold your horses long enough to observe and plan then execute. Work smart not hard. The little time you spend up front will gain you far more time throughout the job. Safer, too!

Make simple rules and follow them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-05-2022 at 10:26 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote