The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2022, 08:45 PM   #1
Arne

Issues fitting power steering pump to 305 V8 SB

I started test fitting the power steering pump and brackets that arrived today, part of my recent rack & pinion order from POL. And I'm now waiting for a response from POL's tech help.

I ordered a small block pump bracket set, standard Saginaw-type pump, and 2-groove pulley. The pump bracket set is said to work on both short and long water pump engines. I have an early '80s 305 SB with long water pump. When I loosely bolt up the whole assembly, the pump is too close to the block. There is not enough clearance for the upper slotted bracket to fit, and the pulley grooves are off by a whole groove (inner groove on the crank and water pump lines up with the outer groove on the 2-groove pulley). Additionally, the upper slotted bracket is supposed to go to the lower bolt on the water pump, but in reality the water pump casting doesn't have clearance at either bolt to mount an additional bracket.

So I'm stuck on this for now. Based on lining up pulley grooves, I'd need to space the pump and brackets about ⅝" away from the block. And I'd still need to do something different with the upper slotted bracket, as there is no where it will fit on the water pump.

It looks like all the other brackets I see offered besides Alan Grove's are essentially the same. Anyone else seen anything like this? Do the Alan Grove brackets space the pump farther away from the engine?

I've got it all unbolted now, but I'll re-fit it again tomorrow and take some pictures.

————————————

Last edited by Arne; 12-24-2022 at 01:20 AM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote