The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2023, 11:17 PM   #1
RTHarvey

regulator blues

I have a 1967 long step side, 283V8, 4-speed. A while back I started having regulator problems--occasionally it would run up to 16 or 17 volts, so I thought I would replace the regulator. I went to O'partsstore and bought their store brand electro-mechanical regulator. Seemed to work OK. I came back to the truck a few days later and the battery was dead. It was a 5-year-old 3-year battery, so I thought that was just the end and bought another one. I few days later that battery was dead too. I goofed around looking for the cause, and discovered that the new regulator was drawing about 1.8 amps when the ignition was turned off. I filed off a pretty big bump on the points of the original (I believe The Original Delco-Remy) and put it back in. No current draw, and it works fine. I took the new one back and got a replacement. I tried it, and it works OK, but it is kind of erratic (bounces around between 12 and 15 volts) and buzzes loud enough to be heard in the cab. I put the original back in, so now I have alternator and regulator 50+ years old...but they work fine. I'm thinking about either looking around for another original Delco-Remy regulator, just in case, or for less than $150 I can buy a 100A Powermaster alternator with an internal alternator and a little adaptor harness, so I don't have to even have to think about how to wire it up. Any suggestions?
RTHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote