The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
airborne3502

Thanks Smonty!

My adventure:

I drove out to Texas from Georgia this past weekend to pick up a 72 GMC SWB minus engine and trans from Smonty. First, I just want to say first how pleased I am with the truck. It is everything he said it would be. He even helped me hook up the light kit I bought so that I could tow it back to Georgia safely with my SUV.

Unfortunately, a bolt I didn't tighten enough on my tow bar snapped. The truck broke loose and smacked the back of my Tahoe!

What a disaster--and I wasn't even 50 miles into my return trip...

Disgusted, I decided to abandon the truck in a Carl's Jr parking lot. That's right, I blamed the truck for my own stupidity and decided to punish it. Before leaving Texas, and the truck to its fate, I decided to call Smonty. I told him that a deals a deal, and that I wasn't asking for a refund. However, if he wanted to pick up the truck and sell it again, it was fine with me. He wouldn't even consider it! He picked it up for me and now it is safely back at his place. He told me that he would hold it for me until I could hire a transport company or catch someone with a flatbed headed my way from Texas. He's even made a post on the board about the situation in an effort to help me out.

One more thing-- when the trucks were tangled, more people helped me in the span of five minutes than I can count on one hand. That worked out good, because I'm not the kind to ask for help, and I wasn't sure if I could get the two vehicles unhooked by myself. Initially, the GMC's bumper was resting on top of the Tahoe's tow hitch. For some reason, It reminded me of that line in "There's Something About Mary" where Mary's dad asks Ben Stiller how he got the beans above the frank....

I was given a great reminder about the good in people at a time when I was needing that more than an old pickup truck.

Thanks again Smonty--and thank you Texas!
airborne3502 is offline   Reply With Quote