The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2023, 04:38 PM   #1
CKfan

67-72 A pillar door mounting plate & cage

I am posting this in hopes of helping someone who is struggling or will struggle with replacing the lower A pillar door mounting plate and holder (cage). This part is often damaged by rust and falls down in the A pillar when you remove your door. The top plate is mostly the same but much more difficult to replace and rusts out less often.

I have seen many examples on YouTube with "advice" on "making your own" but many people have never even seen the part they are suppose to be making!

There is no easy way to replace one (only less difficult ways). Also, no-one is making after market plates or cages for sale (even though they come inside the new replacement A pillar you can order). So, finding a parts truck is the best current option.

Here goes, if you need to replace the bottom plate, the best way is to cut out a piece of your kick panel directly behind the door plate for access. I have seen YouTubers cut the lower A Pillar at the door mounting point and replace it, but I would suggest that creates a weak point after being welding back in (unless you weld better than me). The door creates a lot of force on the lower A pillar especially if someone lets the door swing open on a down hill slope. The pictures below are from a piece I got from a hacked up truck just for example. I am sure others have better solutions but this works for me. The pictures will at least show some people what they are trying to fish out of the bottom of their A pillar : ) Enjoy!
Attached Images

CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote