The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
BanjoDude

Got my Grandpa's truck back after 25 years - advice?

Grandpa was a mechanic in the same shop for 59+ years - the longest-operating inspection station in PA history. He never had much, and wasn't the type to prize possessions, but his C20 was his pride and joy. In Oct. of '97 I watched, heartbroken, as he sold it. I wanted it so badly, but it sold for $3,000 when I didn't have $500. After 25 years, I just found it, and it's back in the family.

I have a fully-equipped shop with a lift and am fairly proficient mechanically, but most of my experience is from a frame-off restoration of a '73 Triumph GT6. I'd love some advice on what I should check out on a new-to-me truck. It had a new paint job about 20 years ago that is still in 9/10 condition, along with new rubber seals, body mounts, carpet/soundproofing and seat cover. The engine, transmission, and rear end are all original, and I'd really like to keep them that way. Something special about working on the same stuff my Grandpa worked on.

Since I'm not familiar with these things yet, I'd love some advice on what to check out mechanically. It starts right up every time and purrs like a kitten. The only thing I've noticed is that the steering (not power) is pretty sloppy. I'd really like to tighten that up as much as possible. Any advice on where to start on that? Anything else to consider? Thanks!
BanjoDude is offline   Reply With Quote